The mission of WIE is to inspire, engage, encourage, and empower IEEE women worldwide.
IEEE WIE envisions a vibrant community of IEEE women and men innovating the world of tomorrow. IEEE WIE strives to:
- recognize women’s outstanding achievements in electrical and electronics engineering through IEEE Awards nominations
- organize receptions at major technical conferences to enhance networking and to promote membership in WIE
- advocate women in leadership roles in IEEE governance and career advancement for women in the profession
- provide assistance with the formation of new WIE Affinity Groups and support ongoing activities
- promote IEEE member grade advancement for women to the membership grades of Senior Member and Fellow
- facilitate the development of programs and activities that promote the entry into and retention of women in engineering programs
- administer the IEEE Student-Teacher and Research Engineer/Scientist (STAR) Program to mentor young women in junior and high schools
IEEE Region 1 Activity Support for PACE, WIE, YP, and EDU events.
- Region 1 provides support for Section activities created for PACE, WIE, YP and EDU. Go here for more information!
- The maximum request is $750 per event. EDU activities are limited to $250 requests.
- Each request requires a matched commitment of Section funds. Examples of activities can be found on the link for funding.
- Each year, Sections may apply for funds for one of each type of event including: 1) PACE, 2) WIE or YP, and 3) EDU.
These funds can also be used to provide travel support to attend meetings. However, the maximum support ($750) must also be matched by Section funds. If the travel requires less than $1,500 of total support the region will only cover 50%. In order to qualify for travel support the Section must have carried out at least 3 reported events for the Affinity group. A Section may apply for either travel support or activity support (not both) for a specific Affinity group.
Region 1 WIE Affinity Groups
- Boston Section ([link])
- Connecticut Section
- Mid-Hudson Section
- Long Island Section ([link])
- Maine Section ([link])
- New Hampshire Section ([link])
- New York Section ([link])
- New Jersey Coast Section ([link])
- North Jersey Section ([link])
- Princeton/Central Jersey Section
- Schenectady Section
- Springfield Section ([link])
- Worcester County Section ([link])
Region 1 WIE Student Affinity Groups
- Columbia University, NY (Student Branch)
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, MA (Student Branch, [link])
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA (Student Branch)
- Mentoring opportunities
- WIE Awards
- WIE Electronic Magazine and Newsletter – Career information, reports on WIE & Affinity Group activities, IEEE news, and more
- Receptions, Forums, Workshops
- Ability to meet colleagues with similar interests in promoting women in engineering and technology
- Activities at local Affinity Group level
- Assistance with membership upgrade
- And much more …